Love

Love: A feeling of strong attachment induced by that which delights or commands admiration; preeminent kindness or devotion to another; affection; tenderness; as, the love of brothers and sisters.

How do you know you are loved?

Because someone tells you so?

Because of something someone does for you?

Because of something someone gives you?

A feeling?

A touch?


The Way of Love
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
Love never dies.
Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled. When I was an infant at my mother's breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good. We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.
~1 Corinthians 13~
~The Message~

How do you know God loves you?

Because He tells you so in His Word.

Because He took your sins upon Himself and He died on the cross for you.


Because of the grace He extends to you in your need.

A feeling of humility before His throne.

A touch of sunshine.



I know that I know, but how do I explain it to myself so that I can remember it when I don't feel it.

1 comments:

R said...

Ummm... such a tough question. I sort of view it that's the faith part of things. I have faith that God loves me and is in control even when I don't see the evidence. Sometimes I can look back at things and see it later, sometimes not. Sometimes I feel loved by my husband, sometimes not, but I have faith in our commitment to each other so even during the difficult times I fall back on that commitment and trust in it. That doesn't mean I don't push for love I can feel though... I don't know if any of this makes sense but anyways... (and I'm sorry if you're getting this a second time- I don't know if it went through the first time)